• Responding to medical/health problems presented by patients including history taking, diagnosis, investigation, treatment and referral as appropriate.
• Maintaining confidentiality and impartiality.
• Commissioning health care by liaising with medical professionals in the community and hospitals.
• Promoting health education in conjunction with other health professionals.
Organizing Medical Programs
• Organizing preventative medical programs for individual patients.
• Providing specialist clinics for specific conditions or for certain groups e.g. diabetes, smoking cessation, new babies.
• Meeting targets set by the government for specific treatments, e.g. child immunizations.
• Discussing the development of new pharmaceutical products with pharmaceutical sales representatives.
• Managing resources to service targets as effectively as possible e.g. using Choose and Book.
• Keeping up to date with medical developments, new drugs, treatments and medications, including complementary medicine.